U of T campus network security

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 13 04:36:55 UTC 2005

On 8/12/05, Igor Denisov <denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Soon, I'll be a student at U of T and my linux box will be part of the
> U of T network.
>
> I'm worried about both crackers and the script kiddie haxxorz that
> might lurk there.
>
> For those of you that have worked/studied/used a computer at U of T,
> are either of those two types present? Are computers broken
> into/messed around with?
>
> What would you suggest I do to secure my linux box (currently SUSE 9.3Pro)?
> Currently, it has little besides a firewall and an virus scanner
> (BitDefender).
>
> I've considered repatrtitioning and separating /, /var, /tmp, /usr,
> and /home and chrooting each service running on my box.

I'd suggest that you look into PortSentry; this is a package that watches
for port probes, and whenever it finds offenders, it can both add them to
ipchains/iptables (to block them at network interface level) as well as
adding them to /etc/hosts.deny.

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/sentrytools/>

I have found that very useful; the key, for you, is most likely to be
Understand Your "Firewall" Software.
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)