Cups/printer problem; queue dies is printer is shut off during a job

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 12 18:29:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 01:53:02PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I've got a problem here where I've got two network laser printers (a
> Kyocera FS-3830N and an HP LaserJet 2430dtn). They are running off of
> Fedora Core 3 machines (the problem happens to all of them).
>
>   If you turn off either printer and then turn it back on while there
> is no job being sent to it, everything is fine. On the other hand, if
> you do turn off either printer while a job is being sent to the printer
> the queue just seems to up and die. Only deleting and recreating the
> printer seems to get the printer(s) working again.
>
>   I know the easy answer is "well, don't turn them off in the middle of
> a job!" but that isn't so easy. This is an office where they print a lot
> and the office workers occasionally send the wrong job to the printer
> (often being a 100 pages or more) so they run to the printer and turn it
> off so that they don't waste the paper.

So teach people to use the job queue to cancel the job, or hit the
cancel button on the printer (many nice printers have such a button
now).

>   Does anyone know what is actually going wrong? Resetting the 'cups'
> service isn't enough... Is there a way I can restore the queues after
> this happens?

The enable command might help.

>   I am afraid my printing/cups knowledge isn't the best.

The web interface may even have job queue control so you can delete the
'canceled' job and reenable the printer.

You certainly shouldn't need to delete the printer queue.

Lennart Sorensen