UPDATE Re: OT: Hardware troubleshooting

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 12 13:26:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 09:06:32AM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> Update:
>
> I friend of mine recently upgraded his power supply (he has too much
> running off his 5V lead for a 410W power supply), and lent me his
> perfectly servicable PC Power & Cooling 410W unit.

A real 410W.  Nice.  Their rediculous air flow can make them a little
noisy depending on the case you put it in.  According to the maker, they
rate their power supplies at typical operating temperature, rather than
room temperature (which is apparently where the real cheap power
supplies rate their power).  Might be why I never had a problem with
running 3 scsi drives, a jaz drive, 3 dvd/cd drives, an athlon 2500+,
512M ram, 64M nvidia, etc off a 300W turbocool.  Many people tried to
tell me I needed a much bigger power supply for that load.

> I've plugged that in, and it seems to have fixed the problem - but with
> intermittent problems I'll need more than the half-dozen flawless power
> cycles I've done to really be sure.  Thanks to everyone who provided an
> opinion/suggestion or recommendation.

Reliable power makes a big difference.  I do remember a few years ago a
friend's win98 kept crashing and corrupting until he changed the no name
power supply to a turbocool 300, and the problems vanished.  Power
supplies can make a difference.

Lennart Sorensen