Netopia R7100 SDSL router

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 12 03:16:56 UTC 2005

On August 11, 2005 20:40, you wrote:
> Well, I am not a someone experienced with networking.
>
> At the place where I do my little money for surviving, loosers did
> not write down what is the password to this device. So, I am going
> to reset it to default factory settings and start configuring it
> again.
>
> My problem is, however, that while a thick (250 pages) manual is
> around, and I did similar configuration of simpler devices, I did
> not on that one.
>
> And now, all the people there strongly depand on the Internet
> access.
>
> Is there perhaps a soul around that would be willing to give advice
> is something was going terribly wrong? In a case I was unable to
> deal with possible problems we would call for payable help. It
> would be good simply to have a contact in advance.

Hi Zbigniew,

I suggest before you make any changes to the Netopia box, you
configure a Linux box to act as a router/firewall and test it to make
sure that it will work. I highly recommend IPCop <http://ipcop.org>.
It is small and full featured. You can install it on a low end
machine quite easily. Once you have that, then you can tinker with
the Netopia more confidently knowing that in the worst case scenario,
you would not be left without Internet access. It should not take you
more than 60 minutes from the time you download to the time you have
IPCop configured and ready to go. There is an IRC channel for it at
irc.freenode.org, #ipcop, in case you need help. I am usually not
there but if you need to raise me on IRC, my nick is cilkay. You can
just /msg cilkay once you connect to FreeNode, or call me if you need
help.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay