Best Filesystems?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 11 21:40:08 UTC 2005

On August 11, 2005 16:32, William Park wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 03:52:28PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> > For "normal" installs I want the safety of the extra
> > partions.
>
> There is one answer for 500MB harddisks, and another answer for
> 500GB harddisks.

Straw man argument. You will notice that I started this by saying "I
think putting all the OS and system files in one big partition is a
poor choice when you have room to spare on your disk." Note the "room
to spare". I do not think anyone was advocating lots of partitions
with 500M disks. Steve mentioned that he has an 80GB hard disk.

> I'm well aware of /var, /tmp, and mount option
> arguments. But, not formatting wrong partition is also good
> argument.

I do not understand. Are you suggesting that having more partitions
increases the odds of accidental formatting of the wrong partition?
If so, that seems like a dubious argument.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation