Best Filesystems?

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 11 20:41:33 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Under normal conditions I would have to disagree with
> this VERY strongly, and for an example as two why I
> can go back to earlier this week. FreeBSD box in my
> office acting as mail server. Elsewhere in the
> building umpteen Windows boxes, one of which became
> virus infected on Tuesday. Windows box starts spewing
> 10^n th copies of itself.
>
> Ok, so /var on the FreeBSD box gets filled, and the
> mail server part of the box falls down (a pain I
> "shared" with a Windows user <evil grin>), but the
> other functions on the box remained up, web pages were
> served off the box, name service continued, and most
> importantly I could still log in and see where the
> problems were. All this because /tmp and the other
> directories other than /var were writeable.
>
> Now, there are only two situations where I would even
> consider 1/2 partions. For the Linux World Canada show
> I did everything into 1 partition, this was a Linux
> install that was supposed to last less than 48 hours,
> and Knoppix gave me the option of doing a quick/dirty
> 1 partition install (not ideal, but for 48 hours, I
> could tolerate it). The other situation came up a few
> years ago when I attempted to install a conventional
> Linux on to an LS-120 floppy (a special 120 MB floppy
> disk). When you only have 120 MB to play with you are
> SO tight for space, you have to make some less than
> ideal compromises...
>
> For "normal" installs I want the safety of the extra
> partions.
>
> Colin McGregor

Colin,

I do agree with your points and that others have made regarding
multiple partitions... but I also see the point of a single or double
partition.

Multiple partitions are optimal for work and server boxes, no doubt.
When they have to deal with many other users/machines interacting with
them, they need as much self-protection as possible.

For home uses, without running any servers, I can see the simplicity
of only one or two partitions. For a home machine that is only on a
few hours a day, and running very few processes when it is, several
partitions can become overkill, especially if you frequently
re-install OSes or like to "test-drive" many OSes in a multi-boot
scenario.

-Steve.