Looking for ISP, again

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 11 17:24:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 01:12:44PM -0400, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Now considering Rogers ...
>
> Can Rogers customers here comment on this part of their web site
> (http://www.shoprogers.com/Store/Cable/InternetContent/information.asp):
>

> Security
> Enjoy peace of mind with email virus and SPAM protection, desktop
> anti-virus, pop-up blocker, anti-spyware, parental controls and
> firewall protection. They all work together to help keep your Internet
> experience worry free.
> <<
>
> Obviously most or all of this is undesirable.  So:
> is it on by default?
> if yes, can it be disabled from Linux (and without Flash or other web
> abuse plugins)?

Well I use rogers (due to lack of choices) and I don't actually ever
check my rogers email account, which is available through webmail among
other methods.  No idea about spam etc on it.

As for the other stuff, I imagine they have some windows software for
that included on the install cd that I still haven't taken out of the
shrinkwrap.  It said something about windows/mac on it so I ignored it.

Plug in cable mode, wait for sync, use dhcp, and you are done.  Nothing
else needs to be done for it to work for normal client level of use.

My main email is done via ssh to a linux machine where I run screen and
mutt which has served me well for years through a number of ISPs.

They block a few ports as far as I know, but I haven't really done much
with the connection other than http/ftp client for installing software
upgrades, viewing web pages, and doing ssh to various places (and in to
my system from outside too) and that port has worked fine.

I imagine trying to run a server (in violation of terms of use of
course) would probably be a bit more difficult.

Lennart Sorensen