TV Tuner cards

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 11 15:48:15 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> If you can view it, you can record it, pretty much.  If the computer can
> retreive the video then it can also record it.  Just an issue of
> software, not hardware, hence no price savings there.

Well...not entirely.  I have an old ATI tuner-only card (bt878-based)
which works well enough for viewing, but it chews far too much CPU
just doing the capture to allow me to encode it to any reasonable size
in realtime on my Duron 1GHz.  To effectively record stuff, I end up
having to dump it to disk (~10GiB/25 mins) while not running any other
applications, and then encode it offline.

If the OP wants the ATI card, I probably wouldn't be sorry to see it
go (private e-mail if that's the case).  The visual quality really
isn't that good.  If I ever do get around to transferring my old VHS
tapes to DVD, I'll just go and buy a hardware encoder.

--
taa
/*eof*/