Phone line static influencing DSL quality

Sy sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 9 18:04:02 UTC 2005

I don't have access to the demarc since I'm in an apartment building.
In fact, the bell tech who came by went hunting for it and couldn't
find the right equipment for my particular part of the building.  It
appears that his layout for the building was wrong.

Of course, I couldn't get a hold of any of the staff here to confirm
the right info, not that they'd know anyways..

I suspect the building's wiring is to blame.. although it's odd that
it suddenly got bad one day.  It's also odd that sometimes it has
speeds which are better than I've ever know before this static issue.
So from awesome to crap, to good with disconnections to dead air and
no dialtone.. it's odd to be sure.

I'm using IPCop for my firewall.  I don't see a mention of a
connection speed, but what I'll try is to throttle back my usage with
its traffic shaping (which I wish had better configurability).

I did do a bit of poking around to look into wireless or sattelite
internet.. not really an option at this point.  I'd rather move
somewhere which can support my habit.  I need to move to be closer to
work anyways.. an hour and a half travel time each way sucks.