Revised Installfest flyer

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 9 15:32:34 UTC 2005

In order to fit everything onto one page (comfortably,
without using a 5 point font) I had to edit some stuff
out, and I have incorporated some of the suggestions
from William Park and John McGregor (no relation to
the best of my knowledge :-) ).

Any event I have forwarded the following on to
Centennial for comment...

Colin McGregor

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Free Linux Installfest

Curious about Linux but do not know where to start?
Ever wanted to try out Linux but had problems getting
it installed? This is your chance to have a volunteer
from the GTALug (Greater Toronto Area Linux User
Group) guide you through the available options and
help you to install Linux on your computer.

Cost: 		No charge
When: 		Saturday August 27th, 2005
Where: 	Room 418, 755 Morningside Avenue (the
Centennial HP Science
and Technology Centre)
Time: 		9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. To register:
register-+7+y8uhm9Opg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Details: 	http://gtalug.org/events/installfest

While the Installfest is free, you are responsible for
paying any transit/parking charges.

Other Notes:
·	If you wish to have Linux installed on more than one
computer, please bring the extra computer(s) along but
installations beyond the first will only be done if
time permits.
·	Installations will be done on a first come, first
served basis.
·	There is an element of risk when installing an
operating system. You will be expected to sign a
consent form at the Installfest authorizing the
volunteer to install Linux on your computer(s) and
releasing Centennial, GTAlug and the volunteers from
liability before proceeding with the installation.

Pre-Installfest checklist
·	Perform a back up of your computer. This is
essential!
·	Defragment your hard drive and set aside at least
3GB of disk space.
·	If you can, create new partitions by resizing
pre-existing ones. If you do not know how to do this,
someone at the Installfest can do it for you.
·	Let us know in advance if you have a particular
Linux distribution you are interested in having
installed and we will try to accommodate you.
·	Let us know in advance about the chipset, model
number, age, or other details about the hardware in
your computer, especially graphics adapters, wireless
network cards, and SATA controllers, if you can. If
you can print those details and bring them with you to
the Installfest, all the better. If possible, search
the web for Linux compatibility information for your
hardware.
·	Bring power cords and manuals for your hardware.

Some CRT Monitors, PS/2 mice and PS/2 keyboards will
be available. If your computer uses LCD or USB
peripherals, or any unusual hardware, bring it with
you.

To volunteer at the Installfest, please email:
volunteer-+7+y8uhm9Opg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org