OT: Hardware troubleshooting

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 9 13:52:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:54:03PM +0300, Peter wrote:

>Turn on smart and look at the log. My hunch is it will be lit red like a
>nice sunset. You can run smartctl on the drive from external boot media
>(e.g. knoppix live cd).

I had SMART turned on, and the logs are clear - I booted off a knoppix
disc (which work just fine) and fsck'ed my discs, and everything seems
tickety-boo.  The drives mounted fine, the data is all intact, and I
could find no problems.  This computer runs just fine (it's what I'm
logged into to send this email), but it doesn't boot so well.  I turned
it off after pulling the knoppix disc, and it took a while to cool off
before it would boot again.

Could a power supply problem only affect a system when it is booting?
Similarly, could a bad HD controller or be cranky when warm and booting,
but not cool and booting?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
--

yours,