Font size under X; question

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 9 02:24:18 UTC 2005

Walter Dines wrote:
>   Where did you find that... pretty please?  It's *NOT* found in
> "man xorg.conf".  Is there a man page somewhere that I've missed?  It
> has improved things to the point where I might consider staying at
> 1600x1200 permanently.

To be honest I can't tell you where I first found out about it. I've had
  it in my general configuration backup file long enough to have
forgotten from whence it came. My line is uncommented so I found a
posting on the ubuntu forum that had the formula I sent earlier.
(http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20976)

If my memory serves me correctly, the line tells X what the aspect ratio
of width to height should be for a line of text. The fancy
multiplication is just a conversion to millimeters to tell X how large
your screen is.

Note that you may want to tweak the numbers a little (fudge them) per
the following site that explains things is much more understandable detail:
http://ed.asisaid.com/fontfight.html

Good to hear that you like your new resolution. If your eyes can take it
and things look sharp I rather like the smallness and spaciousness that
it creates.

Cheers.