Monitor correction chart?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 21:46:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:58:50PM +0300, Peter wrote:
>> In fact you can solve it once for the server or 1000 times for each
>> application. So going for the server is more sane, but for occasional
>> use application-based calibration should work fine.
>
> An application working in CMYK or some other color space may want to do
> the conversions differently than your web browser.  Your web broser may
> quite honestly not give a hoot as long as it can display 24bit RGB.
> After all web sites don't have a standard for color space that I am
> aware of.

No, they all want *standard* color output. Maybe the web browser does
not count so much but it's nice to know it's accurate when you visit a
nice photography site or when you are trying to calibrate your
*monitor* (grin). Color calibration is not about conversion, it's about
making the result uniform and reliable, no matter where it coms from.

>> That's a good idea but I would like to see how easy it is to use. The
>> way I remember the little X11 programming I did adding more complexity
>> to the API is not a good idea. I mean, correcting a colormap would work,
>> but if you use 24 bit color the color map will have inetresting size and
>> speed issues.
>
> Well other than photo editors/viewers, print systems, the gimp, and
> such, what really cares about color accuracy?

You just listed 50% of the popular applications run under guis ;-)

So since the ICC correction device will likely be large and heavy to
work well, why repeat it in every application ?

One hack I have thought of is to use a xvfb style X server and teleport
its contents through a ICC corrected second server to a real screen. It
would be a slow and heavy hack but it should make it possible to apply
correction to any software (until this makes its way into the X
servers). It is also relatively easy to implement (I am not
volunteering).

Peter