OT: Hardware troubleshooting

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 18:30:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, William O'Higgins wrote:

> Good idea.  If the machine has been up for several hours it does not
> seem to want to find the HD even after reboot - but an hour later it
> comes up just fine.

I had a problem very similar to this although in my case it would
sometimes fail on the memory test and other times it would hang during
drive detection.  I thought the case might have a short circuit that was
only appearing when the board was heated (ie, running for a while).

After investigating various components and options it turned out to be a
BIOS bug.  One flash and the problem went away.  When I first started
looking into the problem the fixed BIOS had not been released of course -
that only came later :)

This was an Asus A7V m/b btw.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org