Which DVD player?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 18:17:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 08:52:52PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Which DVD player do you use to view a DVD movie on Linux?  I'm afraid I
> am total newbie in this matter.

I didn't know that Slackware already includes 'xine' package.  But, I
have encountered another problem...

I have Samsung DVD and Via Apollo Pro 133A (Abit VP6 dual-P3).  This
motherboard is practically new, and all my RAMs are good (checked with
www.memtest86.com over-night).

When I try to run 'xine' (ie. xine -p dvd:/), I get an infinite loop of

    /var/log/syslog:
	hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
	ide: failed opcode was: unknown
	hdc: ATAPI reset complete
	end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 299056
	Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 37382

    /var/log/messages:
	ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out

which repeat every minute.

Has anyone encountered this before?  A DVD drive without DMA is pretty
useless. :-(

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell