Looking for ISP, again

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 15:30:53 UTC 2005

On 8/8/05, Mike Newman <presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 8/8/05, Ian Zimmerman <nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I don't have a Windows system at all.  People here using Look, have
> > you been able to install it without Windows?
> I currently have my connection going into a D-Link router, but I also
> tried it with Debian and both work fine. I can assure you that it uses
> standard PPPoE. I don't think that they offer USB modems but (just in
> case) ask for an ethernet-based modem.
> Basically you get the modem, some filters and a piece of paper with
> your username and password on it. Put the relevant info into your
> PPPoE config file, dial in and turn on your firewall!

What does the "installation software" in the package do, then?

I confess to not having used PPPoE directly before.  The routers I was
connected to probably used it, but someone else always configured the routers.
I plan to use one of those pointy-headed Linksys wireless routers; unfortunately
it's still with the movers so I can't tell you the exact number; but I
think there's
only one B model, so that's the one.  Can it handle this type of up-link?

You say "dial in", but surely your router (and mine)
doesn't know how to dial phone numbers?