Monitor correction chart?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 12:07:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>>
>> Macs have all the necessary correction tables installed and usually you
>> only need to choose the right one for your hardware. The PC is way behind
>> it in this respect.
>
> Not quite so. To have really accurate colours on a Mac, you'll need a freshly
> calibrated long tube CRT reference monitor run in an almost dark room. I
> experienced this in prepress for multi-million $$ ad campaign printing, so
> it's not the affordable end of calibrated colour ;-)

What I meant was, a Mac out of the box has the right ICC correction
charts installed for all the supplied hardware (like the built-in
monitor for example). The user simply selects the chart if it is not
selected by default and that's about it unless they are in the printing
business in which case *daily* calibration checks would be in order
probably.

> PCs have had adequate colour management since NT4 or so. We were doing book
> repro with it no problems about five years ago.

I am not at all sure about it. I mean, normal off the shelf equipment
that would be used outside a professional shop.

Peter