database vs filesystem performance

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 05:31:14 UTC 2005

Marc Lijour wrote:

>On August 8, 2005 00:32, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
>

>>It all comes down to the nature of your application and data.
>>Is your application read only? Are you modifying data? How large are the
>>files and what kind of files are they?
>>

>I am just getting a very fast stream of binary data which I have to store
>(fast) with the idea of retrieving later to process it. Hence it must be
>indexed in some way, but a coarse-grained indexing should work (many files
>may be).

If this is just an intermediary stage and all you need is coarse
indexing (not searching) then just using the filesystem is probably the
way to go but keep in mind that FS performance will generally suffer if
you have too many files in a given directory.  (There are ways around
this though.)  However, as others have said, to have a conclusive answer
would require performance testing specific to your problem.

BTW, is this on a Linux box?  You've specified MS-SQL but left the other
option vague.  Just curious.

Regards,
Marcus