database vs filesystem performance

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 01:53:15 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Lijour" <marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Sunday, 07 August, 2005 21:34
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: database vs filesystem performance

On August 7, 2005 21:27, Francois Ouellette wrote:
> [...]
Tru64
> system, originally developed for DEC-OSF.
>
> Do you know how it does compare with MS NTFS?

There may not be data integrity problems with NTFS, but the Windoze system
using it might be a bigger problem!

Sorry, this may be a biased opinion but I have seen so many performance
problems with Windoze SQL Servers systems, even MS have difficulties in
helping how to tune the software to make it perform acceptably, even on
monster Wintel machines with huge memory.
The same hardware with Linux and an open source RDBMS worked immensely
better...

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>