Monitor correction chart?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 7 14:28:41 UTC 2005

  I don't know whether this question belongs on a computer group or a
digital photography group, but here goes.

  Having recently bought a digital camera, I'll admit to taking the
(ahem) occasional (cough cough) not-quite-perfect picture that needs
some touching-up.  I'm starting to play around with GIMP, and getting
half-decent at fixing up under-exposed shots.  I can make it look good
on *MY* computer monitor.

  This raises the question of whether there is a "test pattern" for
monitors like http://www.high-techproductions.com/colorbars.htm for TV.
You'd need a paper printout and a digital file.  Getting the paper
printout right might be a bit expensive.

  Talking about computer monitors in general, is it just me, or has
anyone else noticed that LCD displays seem to default to being *DAMN*
bright?  When I got one at work, the first thing I did was to crank the
brightness way down.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca