Free Monitors to a Good Home

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 4 12:10:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 08:04:48PM -0500, Sy wrote:
> I recall Matt Price had some wierd monitor issues discussed on the
> list a while back.  I'm CCing him in case he's interested.
>
> My intuition is telling me that I need a new monitor, but I think I'll
> invest in a fair quality LCD.  I've been working with some basic Dell
> LCDs at work (can I call it that if I like it?) and I am liking them a
> lot.
>
> I used to be hard to please when it came to LCDs.. but I guess the
> technology has improved.

Well I would love an LCD personally, although it is only recently that
some with fast enough transition times are starting to come out.  Of
course there also doesn't seem to be any standard on how to measure the
responsiveness on a screen that gives any kind of useful data yet, well
unless you put a nice graph in the documentation, and apparently
marketing people prefer a nice simple number they can claim is better
than everyone elses.

of course I also want one that is 4:3 aspect ratio, and I won't work on
a 15", which pretty much leaves 19"+ which isn't cheap.

I don't know why they can't release 1280x960 or 1400x1050 displays
rather than all those cheap 1280x1024 stupid things everyone is making.
If I was going to use a non 4:3 resolution it better be because the
screen isn't 4:3 itself.

Lennart Sorensen