Free Monitors to a Good Home

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 4 12:28:51 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Cc: "Matt Price" <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Free Monitors to a Good Home

> Well I would love an LCD personally, although it is only recently that
> some with fast enough transition times are starting to come out.  Of
> course there also doesn't seem to be any standard on how to measure the
> responsiveness on a screen that gives any kind of useful data yet, well
> unless you put a nice graph in the documentation, and apparently
> marketing people prefer a nice simple number they can claim is better
> than everyone elses.
> <etc>
> I don't know why they can't release 1280x960 or 1400x1050 displays
> rather than all those cheap 1280x1024 stupid things everyone is making.
> If I was going to use a non 4:3 resolution it better be because the
> screen isn't 4:3 itself.

The biggest market for LCD monitors is in the office workplace, where people
use them with general word processing and spreadsheet applications on
Windoze... no need for fast refresh rates and extreme graphics. Obviously
the vendors make their decisions based on good ol' rules of economics and
R&D costs. The next step up from LCD technology is plasma...

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>