moving from postgres to mysql

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 3 19:48:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:56:51AM -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> I don't know a whole lot about pgsql. If its output is a file that
> contains the SQL statements that build the data (which is what MySQL
> does), then you can use this command to get the data into MySQL:
>
> In MySQL:
> create database phpbb;
> exit;
>
> In the shell:
> shell # mysql -u [username] -p[password] phpbb < output_pgsql_data.sql
>
> At least, this is what I do when moving data between MySQL servers.

Well I don't know if the output of pgsql would even be compatible with
what mysql expects.  Certainly the default output of pg_dump would not
be.  Perhaps pg_dump -i (or whatever does data as seperate insert
statements) would be.  Of course that doesn't take care of table
creation since each db seems to use their own type names for each
field type.

Of course personally, I would be wanting to switch the other direction
instead.

Lennart Sorensen