Linux friendly hardware guy?

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 1 14:54:22 UTC 2005

If you are just buying and replacing a power supply, you can do that without
the blessing of a Linux Guru. My advice would be to get the best possible
supply you can afford. A crummy one can go into Frankenstein mode and  take
out every last piece of hardware in the box, as I discovered to my sorrow.

Peter

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 01:26:30PM +0000, Rob Sutherland wrote:
> Robert Brockway writes:
>

> >If the original poster is confortable with the shell and doesn't need a
> >GUI, passing "knoppix 2" [1] to the bootloader boots without a GUI (at
> >least it has with all the version of Knoppix I've done this with).
> >
> >[1] Ie, passing run level 2 to the kernel.
>
> Yep, tried that...actually, I've tried knoppix, suse, berry, the linux
> rescue option on the centos install cds and tomsrtbt. Results vary, at
> times I can boot up, other times it dies at different points. From what
> I've read over the last couple of days and a few responses on the list, it
> seems this is pretty consistent with a failing power supply, so I'm just
> going to get a replacement and stick it in there. Which brings me back to
> what I was was originally asking about - can anyone recommend a linux
> friendly hardware guy in the downtown area?
>
> Rob

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,
350 Victoria Street,