Linux friendly hardware guy?

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 1 00:38:57 UTC 2005

Jose A. Dias wrote:
> You have your work cut out for you.
>
> I think it's a good thing to check at first the power supply. It's quite
> possible that your power supply is now misbehaving and not supplying a
> good enough voltage to maintain the memory within spec. As others have
> pointed out, try a live CD and see what it can do and what it reports as
> "errors." It's quite possible that you might be looking for a
> replacement power supply/motherboard very soon.
>
> Does your bios have some kind of "monitoring" screen? I can boot into my
> bios and have it tell me what the +5V, -5V, +12V and -12V lines are at
> continuously. If the voltages are more than 5% off spec then you have a
> problem.

My bios doesn't show the voltages, but I found a freeware Windows app
called Speedfan that shows them...I'm seeing

Vcore1  1.58V
Vcore2  1.58V
+3.3V   3.26V
+5V     4.92V
+12V   11.46V
-5V     3.64V
+5V     4.87V
Vbat    4.08V

Looks like a fair bit of variation. I guess I'll have to get a power
supply when the stores open up and try replacing that.

Rob