Any Recommendations for Linux Friendly Digital Still Camera?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 15:15:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:04:42AM -0700, B B wrote:
> I love my Sony DSC-P7. It is a couple of years old now
> but has never failed me. It is only 3.2 mega pixels
> but that seems to be enough for my uses. I use it
> everyday with Mandrake Linux 10.1 on a Dell Optiplex
> with a front USB. You just plug it in and the camera
> mounts like a file system and the photo browser
> launches automatically, the software is included with
> the system install and I have had no reason to replace
> it.
>
> This camera also makes MPG movies which are also
> reconised by Mandrake.
>
> Speaking about camers in general I find size matters
> in that the smaller the camera the more likely I am to
> bring it with me. The DSC-P7 uses the Memory Stick and
> InfoLithium battery which allow the case to be small
> enough that I keep it in a cell phone leather case and
> hook it onto my belt.

The canon SDx00 are nice that way too.  I have an SD300 (3.2Mpixel)
while they even have a 5Mpixel (SD500) model.  It is very tiny.  Of
course it too is not computer controlled (at least not that I have
found).

> My parents Canon PowerShot S10 also works the same way
> in Mandrake.

Most camera's that have a USB connection work that way.

The original question asked (as far as I understood) was for a camera
where the computer could trigger taking a picture.

Lennart Sorensen