bogofilter satisfaction report

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 12:55:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 06:26:53PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> You mean like this:
>
> :0HB:
> * ? bogofilter -u
> $MAILDIR/bogospam
>
> ?
>
> That second one is the one I was using, except I was doing -e -p (the -p is the
> one that is supposed to add the X-Bogocity line to the headers, at least
> according to the manpage).
>
> > > I have no idea what 'hmm' is, but I'll take a wild guess: the 'h' is for
> > > 'heuristic'?
> >
> > hdden markov model
>
> D'oh!
>
> Anyhow, I've messed something up terribly, I think, because almost everything
> that was coming through was going to $MAILDIR/bogospam, even though I'd trained
> it with thousands of pieces of mail from the way too many lists I'm on, plus
> several thousand spam examples.
>
> I might start over from scratch, I think I should look at the conf file more and
> of course the manpage and FAQ.
>
> Not givin' up yet!

I installed bogofilter 2 days ago, and I fed it my mailing lists and
inbox and spam folder like this

cat mailinglistmbox | bogofilter -M -n
cat spamfolder | bogofilter -M -s

After which it has been rather impresively accurate (I removed
spamassasin from my procmailrc when I put in bogofilter and so far so
good).

I think I probably fed it 10000 spam and 3000 non spam.

I then programmed my mutt so when I hit d it tells bogofilter to add it
as non spam, and escape-d deletes it and flags it as a spam message
making things nice and easy to deal with and every message I get will be
fed as training food.

I do not use -u option.

Lennart Sorensen