Anyone in for a new business?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 28 15:39:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:23:38PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Good question. Do we care for bacterias? Rather not. Contrary, we kill
> them without mercy. But they exist anyway. Thanks God (we need them for
> our living).

Some things are hard to get rid of.

> But I can not forgive you, Lennard, that you treated my great idea about
> the web as a database so easiely and without depth.

It sounds like it could create a wonderful resource, provided everyone
was willing to put the work into marking their content with teh needed
tags (ala docbook and other xml things).  Would be nice, but I don't
think most people would be willing to put those tags in all their pages.
I know I am too lazy to do it, so why would I expect anyone else to do
it.

On the other hand if you can somehow make a system that detects these
things and tags and indexes them automatically, I will be seriously
impressed and expecting to see your name in many computer books in the
future.  Many neat things seem to have been pulled off in ways I don't
understand, so perhaps this one can too.  Certainly expecting people
to do the right thing is expecting too much, a more clever aproach is
necesary.

> In fact (funny?) nobody on this list approached it seriously. There were
> some responses (thank you to everyone) but not of the kind I would
> expect from people on an list of these who make technology in this
> country. I want to talk (please; privately rather) with anyone who would
> like to work with me on creating something really great. The idea of the
> web as a database (called by some as "semantic web") does make great sense.

I think it's just a matter of some of us think this looks undoable based
on the technology we have seen and know about.  There might be some
advanced research somewhere that can do it, but we don't know about it
and would be very impressed if we did know about it I am sure.

Lennart Sorensen