bogofilter satisfaction report

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 27 22:22:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:37:12 +0300 (IDT)
Peter disseminated the following:

> by adding bogofilter to your ~/.procmailrc you will filter the mail
> *before* it reaches /var/spool/mail/joehill. You can also add it as a
> filter to the MTA. Remember that bogofilter does not delete anything. It
> marks messages with a spam score. Something else then reacts on that
> mark. It can be you or it can be a program (like the MTA or procmail).

Okay, so I implemented bogofilter after 'training' it on several thousand mails,
spam and non-spam (list mail mostly), and deactivated Mailfilter [1], and I have
to say 'wow'. It works really well with a lot less effort than I originally put
into configuring Mailfilter.

A few spam are still getting past Bogofilter, but they're getting caught by my
existing Procmail rules (no HTML, no Outlook, stuff like that).

Now, I called Bogo from Procmail as in the example from the manpage:

:0HB:
* ? bogofilter
$MAILDIR/bogospam

I'm curious, do you use the -u switch? In the FAQ, it seems to indicate that
this can be dangerous if one does not keep an eye on things.

Anyhow, thanks again for the push, I've been meaning to check out Bogofilter for
some time (hey, with ESR how can ya go wrong??) and so far I've been spam-free
for most of the day. We'll see in the morning.

[1] http://mailfilter.sourceforge.net/

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
18:12:10 up 65 days, 19:21, 6 users, load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00