Library extension .a/.so

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 26 21:58:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, John Wildberger wrote:

>>> I'd like to know as well - I've tended to think that it's the difference
>>> between static and dynamic, but upon reflection I don't have a good
>>> reason for thinking that. Or if I did, I've forgotten it.
>
>> type 'file somelib.so someother.a' and see
>> Peter
> answers like this warm my heart. If you happen to know the answer to my
> question you surly could do better.

The answer to the conversion was given by the person (John Vetterli) who
gave the link to:

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Program-Library-HOWTO/more-examples.shtml

I am sorry if I upset you. I was answering to the first part of the
query. Relinking libraries can be a complicated matter because of
dependencies.

Peter