Filesystem/Partitions for new Linux system

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 26 14:42:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 09:10:40PM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> When I migrated my data to MD+LVM grub didn't support /boot on LVM so that's
> why I don't have just one big md device and everything on LVM ... not sure if
> grub now supports booting off LVM or not.

Well my latest install I now have grub booting from the raid1 /boot,
which it didn't used to do but at least does now (according to
changelogs I read it has since at least feb this yes.).  I think it also
mentioned LVM, but so far I have tended to do /boot and / as seperate
raid1s and then raid1 lvm for storing everything else.  Maybe nexttime I
do an install I will see if I can do just one giant raid1+lvm with
everything including /boot inside it.  Would be much cleaner to setup at
least.  At least the installer for Sarge now does lvm and raid just fine
so I didn't have to install and migrate to the raid.

Lennart Sorensen