tlug wiki

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 26 12:42:00 UTC 2005

Just remember that it's openly editable.. so the same effort which one
has when getting miffed about a broken link or misspelling can be put
towards fixing the problem and feeling good.  Also, being able to
instantly-publish is kinda scary at first.. but it's really
fulfilling.

Making a user takes under a minute, requires no email verification and
grants you immediate easy editing access.

Also, if anyone needs to carve a corner of the wiki for more personal
own use, you are welcome to.. unless we end up with wacky bandwidth
concerns, your talk page and sub-pages are pretty much your turf.
Please don't write a cool article and get us slashdotted.  ;)

On a related note, if anyone has any good tricks and tips for helping
a server be more bulletproof I'm open to suggestions.  I'll be
implementing some fun tricks in the next couple of weeks so that, for
example, certain kinds of naughty bots won't be so much of a concern.

The wikipedia installation itself will be tweaked of course, and I'm
fairly good with that, but I'm still on the learning curve with a lot
of the apache stuff (mod_rewrite anyone?  yeowch).  I'd bet the server
is good as it is, but wikis attract an entirely different culture
which may need to be managed with different tools.

* IRC
* Newsgroups
* Mailing lists
* Forums
* Article comments (a-la slashdot)
* Instant messaging
(and probably other channels)
... and now wikis, and several kinds at that,

all have different cultures with different dialects and problems.  Cool eh?  =)

Wikis can suffer from "graffiti", for example.  ..  Anyone wanna see
what the wiki equivalent of a "troll" is?  It's not pretty!

I'm somewhat related, although ethically different.. I'm a "wiki
gnome" of a sort.  =)

Just remember that this is _everyone's_ new stomping ground.  There
will probably be "official" stuff, which we can argue about in their
discussion pages, but any random little thing anyone throws into the
soup will end up with a home.

Sy,