return of the Thunderbird

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 26 14:46:32 UTC 2005

I'd like to thank the team for the help.. but all I got was a "you
funny" and a "me too !" .. so anyways, here's how I got Thunderbird
working again, after it froze trying to read my (18,000+ messages)
mailing list folder, just in case another poor soul suffers a similar
borking. *note* all you guys (and gals) who actually know what you're
doing, but did not leap in with suggestions, must stop reading here,
instead of rolling your eyes and snickering.

Assumption #1; I received somethin (or several somethins) on April 25th
that borked the folder

Step 1 - close Thunderbird
Step 2 - make a copy of the borked mailing-list mbox
Step 3 - In vim, I went to the bottom of the mailing-list mbox file,
searched upwards for "Apr 24" (?Apr 24) and chopped the end off the file
(dG), save and exit (:wq) For good measure, I deleted the
mailing-list.msf file.

and HEY ! I can still access the other 18,000 mailing list posts ! I
still wonder what attachment bomb or indigestible in-line-html came down
the pipe, on the 25th, and I suppose a closer examination of the diff
might reveal it, but I've got better things to do :-)

djp