bogofilter satisfaction report

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 26 17:37:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:42:55 +0300 (IDT)
Peter disseminated the following:

> >> I have installed the bogofilter spam filter a few months ago and it has
> >> become so good in time that I no longer see spam at all (maybe one
> >> message per week, not every week). This is just to say that it works
> >> great and it seems to be like wine, i.e. it gets better in time (since
> >> it learns from what I reject and from what I tell it not to treat as
> >> spam). Its most important factors are size and speed: It is small! Even
> >> after a few months its database is no larger than 15MB and maintenance
> >> is zero. It is also fast. It's a great piece of software.
> >
> > Link me to a good howto for setup on a Debian box? My current setup just
> > ain't
> > cutting it anymore (Mailfilter + Procmail).
>
> Simply download bogofilter and Berkeley DB, install both, and start
> using it. It's really painless. The instructions for procmail filter
> insertion are in the manpage (if you are impatient they are in the
> section 'INTEGRATION WITH OTHER TOOLS'). I was surprised myself. It
> helps if you have a large body of preserved spam to feed it. Also be
> advised that the program will take a while to learn what you 'like'.
> Simply follow the good advice in the manpage and you'll be fine. After a
> while you will eb able to lower the spam cutoff from standard 0.5 to 0.2
> or lower and life will become wonderful.

Thanks. I looked over the manpage last night, and I'm running into 2 obstacles:

1. I use Sylpheed and incorporate my mail from /var/spool/mail/joehill, I don't
keep my mail in ~/mail, which leads to

2. The messages in my ~/Sylpheed folder, IIANM, are not in mbox format, each
mail is a seperate file.

I'll check Google for converting from the Sylpheed file type, but will
Bogofilter work with the way I have things set up currently? ie. all my mail
comes from /var/spool/mail, not ~/mail.

Thanks again!

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
13:31:33 up 64 days, 14:40, 8 users, load average: 1.29, 1.27, 1.24