Computers For Schools (LinuxWorld)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 26 03:46:03 UTC 2005

On 4/25/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:07:23PM -0400, Byron L. Sonne wrote:
> > >Still waiting for my VMware registration as well... can't wait to
> > >relegate wind0ws to life in the virtual machine! hahaha
> >
> > I've used VMware daily for much of the last 2 years, and I'm amazed at
> > how well it works. Workstation version 5 is out now and it has some
> > great stuff in it, especially good for folks in vuln research.
>
> I'm curious... how is VMware different from running 2 or more machines?
> For example, which OS does 'eth0' belong to?  When there is connection
> to port 25, which OS respond?

This is actually where VMware is _particularly_ nifty...

You get to create multiple virtual NICs for the virtual machines, and
there are some "firewalling" capabilities for passing data hither and
thither.

We're considering using a VMware instance at work to provide us with a
simulation of our production environment, which consists of a bunch of
servers, each of which has numerous IP addresses.

And I have a coworker that uses VMware extensively for testing
PostgreSQL (he's one of the core developers).  Running VMware allows
him to concurrently run tests on multiple machines running different
versions.  One cool thing he can do is to do filesystem "rollbacks"
where he can readily recover a system backwards to a particular system
state (e.g. - where Linux or FreeBSD had a database in a particular
state).  Quite handy when looking at thorny bugs...

To get "out" of the machine, the virtual hosts have to have suitable
routing configuration to let their requests be forwarded to the
genuine NIC at the hosting OS'es level.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)