Filesystem/Partitions for new Linux system

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 25 23:49:04 UTC 2005

On 4/25/05, Anthony Alex <magalex-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I was wondering if I could get advise,  to plan out  a new linux server
> installation. Although it is going to be for home use for now,  I would like
> to follow the right methods if possible from the start, just as if I was
> setting it up in a business environment.
>
> I may be using Debian.
>
> Questions that come up are as follows :
>
> What are the recommended partitions one would use ?  and what size ?
>
> I know  in the past (few years ago) I have ran into issues with LBA,  do I
> need to worry about this anymore ?
>
> This system that I am using is a P3 500mhz, 40gb hard disk, 256mb ram.
>
> I would like to reserve 5 gb for MSwindows. I will be using Linux boot
> manager.

I'd be inclined to put around 2GB apiece to:
 /usr
 /var
 /
Then about 20MB or so for
 /boot
and 512MB for swap

You indicated 5GB for Windows.

 That leaves the remainder for /home, about 27GB.

Bump up the 2GB sizes a bit, if you like...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)