Filesystem/Partitions for new Linux system

Pavel Zaitsev pavel-XHBUQMKE58M at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 25 21:08:31 UTC 2005

Anthony Alex wrote:

> I was wondering if I could get advise,  to plan out  a new linux
> server installation. Although it is going to be for home use for now,
> I would like to follow the right methods if possible from the start,
> just as if I was setting it up in a business environment.
>
> I may be using Debian.
>
> Questions that come up are as follows :
>
> What are the recommended partitions one would use ?  and what size ?
>
> I know  in the past (few years ago) I have ran into issues with LBA,
> do I need to worry about this anymore ?
>
> This system that I am using is a P3 500mhz, 40gb hard disk, 256mb ram.
>
> I would like to reserve 5 gb for MSwindows. I will be using Linux boot
> manager.
>
> TIA,
>
> AA.

I'd think laying out this like that:
/boot -> 500megs on ext2. New file systems are great and stable but ext2
is reliable old horse to store your kernel files on.
/usr -> 10gigs
/var ->2 gigs (maybe more if you will use some large database engine
/tmp -> 1gig (again maybe up to 2 gigs) this directory is used alot so
you can minimize fragmentation this way.
/ -> rest of it

But you have to consider what apps you will be using and all that sort
of stuff. I wrote that template down to give you an
idea, don't copy it heh, consider your priorities.
Cheers,
pavel