Filesystem/Partitions for new Linux system

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 25 20:33:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 04:15:51PM -0400, Anthony Alex wrote:
> I was wondering if I could get advise,  to plan out  a new linux
> server installation. Although it is going to be for home use for now,
> I would like to follow the right methods if possible from the start,
> just as if I was setting it up in a business environment.
>
> I may be using Debian.
>
> Questions that come up are as follows :
>
> What are the recommended partitions one would use ?  and what size ?
>
> I know  in the past (few years ago) I have ran into issues with LBA,
> do I need to worry about this anymore ?
>
> This system that I am using is a P3 500mhz, 40gb hard disk, 256mb ram.
>
> I would like to reserve 5 gb for MSwindows. I will be using Linux boot
> manager.

If you can, put Windows and Linux on separate harddisks.  If not, then
install Windows first.  For Linux, put "system" data and "user" data on
separate partitions.  I recommend
    swap	-- 2 x ram
    /		-- 2 x system data
    /home	-- the rest
as good starting point.  You can symlink /usr/local to /home/local.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.