Unicode-aware text editor; suggestions?

Pavel Zaitsev pavel-XHBUQMKE58M at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 25 17:08:41 UTC 2005

Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I really, really hope this doesn't become an emacs vs. vi thread...
> I don't want to use something that takes a religious convertion and
> weeks or study to use. :p

<snip>

Hi,
I would think editor is a very personal tool, so choosing one can be
demanding choice. For me being thrifty
with my time and reluctance to learn new but same things (new editors on
other platforms) I have chosen vi,
and vim now. Emacs is almost as good of the choice but it is not as
readily available everywhere and
configuration vary wildly. But you still can install emacs on quite a
number of platforms. If you are a perl/shell coder
you will come to appreciate capacity of vim to mix and match commands to
increase your productivity.
I use regular expressions on making html tables and files all the time.
Say you got some fields in a table , you paste
in the list strip anything funny with s/ *// and s/\(\w*\) *.*/\1/g or
some such thing and then decorate stripped
fields with s/\(\w*\)/<option>\1<\/option>/g
this is very trivial descriptions of vim capabilities. I can't really
comment emacs, but I am sure it has its fans as well.

As for using vim with utf-8 you have to compile it with multibyte
support, and set up your terminal correctly.
I had to recompile the kernel with utf-8 support, update locales, load
proper fonts, and recompile some
applications with utf-8 support. Which basically amounted to recompiling
slang and recompiling things that
depended on it. Postgres as well, mind you.
Since you are looking into new editor I'd highly reccomend vim, since it
practically everywhere and it works. Emacs
is a bigger editor for lispy people. You should look it as well. I will
have something of Unicode support.
good luck,
my 2c.
pavel