(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 24 03:13:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 04:47:51AM -0400, Steve Harvey wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:57:07PM -0400, William Park wrote:
[snip]
> > We can move the mailing list to Yahoo.  They got $Billion behind their
> > machines, and you can't beat that.  As for website, Yahoo Group has link
> > page, so you can link to secondary websites.  (I never used it).  If
> > doable, then this actually is not be a bad idea.  Each person can
> > maintain only the stuff they are responsible for, and we can link it
> > from central site.
>
>   My understanding is that you must supply accurate snippets of personal
> information and agree to receive advertising and other content that are
> customized based upon said personal information.  Does nobody else find
> this offensive?  If I access some portion of a website pertaining to
> TLUG, I consider any information about myself for customization purposes
> beyond being in/near Toronto and interested in Linux to be none of their
> damned business!

I belong to several Yahoo Groups and I haven't had to supply any
personal info and I don't get spam from Yahoo so I don't think your
understanding is correct.  Also, people often think that you need a Yahoo
email address to join the groups but this isn't the case.

I use Yahoo Calender and recently realized that events added
to the group calendar are automatically added to the group members'
calendars - a simple but convenient feature.

The one downside to Yahoo is the advertising you periodically have to
read when reading the list at the site but you can always read it at
Gmane instead.