Obtaining router external address

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 23 16:27:32 UTC 2005

On April 22, 2005 15:27, Peter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we had this thread about getting the address of the router from the lan
> side. Solutions involving parsing the response of an external site were
> recorded. I am using such a solution. However, someone said he can
> obtain it using SNMP. I just tried and I can't on my router. Would the
> person like to share that information here ?

I think I am the person you are referring to  :)

I don't remember the exact procedure (and I don't use the router any more),
but here is now I got my Linksys router to send data via SNMP:

In the router configuration page, I set it to send "log information" to my
computer (using internal IP of the computer). I then installed a program
called "snmptrap" and "linksysmon".

Linksysmon uses snmptrap to "trap" data sent by the router, and write it to a
log file. While obtaining the outside IP was not my goal (I have a static
IP), I did see somewhere in the linksysmon manual how to enable some hidden
options in the router, allowing it to send it's whole syslog-like output, not
just the connection log. Using this option, I remember seeing my external IP
mentioned (obviously it never changed).

Again, I am not sure how to extend this solution to other routers.

--
Anton Markov <("anton.markov" + "@gmail" + ".com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

"LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU"

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>