(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 23 16:17:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 11:59:06AM -0400, Ray Payne wrote:
> I'm new to the list and have yet to make it to a meeting, so take this as
> being as uninformed an opinion as possible.  I have no idea of what exactly
> to expect at the meetings, but I know I'd definitely be interested in
> tutorial type meetings.  I would also hope that there is a social aspect to
> the meetings so I don't feel more inclined to just put in a CBT CD when I'm
> debating the drive downtown.
>
> As for the topic of membership dues, there is always an issue to start
> charging people for something that use to be free.  Either people tend to
> resist the change, or they want to know exactly why the money is needed now
> and where it's going.  I've seen other organizations work where there is a
> donation system in place with a recommended donation amount instead of a
> membership.  Without knowing the demographics of the group I can't say if
> that should work or not in this case.  I know I'd have no issue making
> donations to attend meetings that were aiding in my learning, or helping
> cover the costs of supporting a group that I'm getting other forms of
> benefit from.
>
> Ray

Please remember there will never be a cost to being on this list. The cost of bandwidth and the computer is being paid for other reasons, so the mailing list is not a problem.

The membership dues are to cover costs that at one point in time were zero but now aren't anymore.

The due is also there to allow some level of freedom to run events without having to run for donations or expect the usual group of people to subisidize it.

The due is there to pay for the special things that the organization is presently doing without. (For example the projector at meetings).

Finally membership is still voluntary. The only privilege it gives you is the right to vote for the directors and the right to run as a director. perhaps in the future there may be other 'members only' things but for the moment there is no plans for that.

Bill