(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 23 15:40:15 UTC 2005

On 4/23/05, Steve Harvey <sgh-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:57:07PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:01:53PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > > On 4/22/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > > 4.  Hosting of TLUG web site, mailing lists, and such.
> > >
> > > It's well and nice that this has been contributed freely; it's still
> > > something that has a not insubstantial cost.
> >
> > We can move the mailing list to Yahoo.  They got $Billion behind their
> > machines, and you can't beat that.  As for website, Yahoo Group has link
> > page, so you can link to secondary websites.  (I never used it).  If
> > doable, then this actually is not be a bad idea.  Each person can
> > maintain only the stuff they are responsible for, and we can link it
> > from central site.
>
>   My understanding is that you must supply accurate snippets of personal
> information and agree to receive advertising and other content that are
> customized based upon said personal information.  Does nobody else find
> this offensive?  If I access some portion of a website pertaining to
> TLUG, I consider any information about myself for customization purposes
> beyond being in/near Toronto and interested in Linux to be none of their
> damned business!
>
>   I feel strongly enough about this that I'm willing to pony up some
> cash to prevent this from happening.  I personally perceive the value of
> a year of the TLUG mailing list to be of the order of magnitude of at
> least that of a good O'Reilly book.

I too would be pleased to keep this "in house".  It seems only right.
I also would pony up to help the cause.  How significant is the
bandwidth and computing power anyway?  Sure, it's non-trivial, but
it's like $40 a month for a basic adsl connection.. and we can all
chip in or donate parts to build a spare computer just for this
purpose if we need.