(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

Steve Harvey sgh-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 23 08:47:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:57:07PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:01:53PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > On 4/22/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > 4.  Hosting of TLUG web site, mailing lists, and such.
> >
> > It's well and nice that this has been contributed freely; it's still
> > something that has a not insubstantial cost.
>
> We can move the mailing list to Yahoo.  They got $Billion behind their
> machines, and you can't beat that.  As for website, Yahoo Group has link
> page, so you can link to secondary websites.  (I never used it).  If
> doable, then this actually is not be a bad idea.  Each person can
> maintain only the stuff they are responsible for, and we can link it
> from central site.

  My understanding is that you must supply accurate snippets of personal
information and agree to receive advertising and other content that are
customized based upon said personal information.  Does nobody else find
this offensive?  If I access some portion of a website pertaining to
TLUG, I consider any information about myself for customization purposes
beyond being in/near Toronto and interested in Linux to be none of their
damned business!

  I feel strongly enough about this that I'm willing to pony up some
cash to prevent this from happening.  I personally perceive the value of
a year of the TLUG mailing list to be of the order of magnitude of at
least that of a good O'Reilly book.