(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 22 20:09:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 13:49, William Park wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:49:40PM -0400, Sy wrote:
> > * If we want to straighten out and pay for the space we use, then I'm
> > all for it.  Like others, I would want to see a shopping list of
> > expenses to understand where my money goes.  I think an "open
> > accounting" page which lists members and donations and the in/out of
> > money would be nice to see.
>
> You have 2 choices:
>     - Get a volunteer to do this.  If so, will you be volunteering?
>     - Pay someone to do this.  If so, will you be coughing up some cash?

Okay, I volunteer.

I just got off the phone with a contact at Centennial College.  I have
an agreement in principle to host a monthly LUG meeting there.  The
facility includes class room sizes from 30 to 150 seats.  Network and
projector in each class.  No charge.  (Parking cost to be determined)

They are also interested in:

Installfests - they have class rooms / labs that are ideal for this
Demonstrations - they welcome HOWTOs, demos, etc, and have a large
audience of potential new users.
Advertising - They want advance notice so they can advertise topics.
Curriculum - They have asked for our help in developing courses for
their students and training for their teachers.  They currently offer
two Linux courses (I believe one is required and another is an option).
Obvious drawbacks are:
- moving to a different area will upset some (and thrill others)
- no subway (bus access)
- pay parking ($5 evening rate)

Thoughts?  Any other contacts for donated facilities?  The details need
to be discussed further and then a commitment carved in stone.  Is this
worth pursuing?