what does a system administrator do?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 22 17:44:45 UTC 2005

On 4/22/05, Robert Brockway <rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Seriously.  So many systems are not properly documented.  It will come
> back to haunt you.

This is part of the fear of reproducability of one's position.  If I
keep a stranglehold on my position then the prospect of someone
replacing me seems less possible.

I've begin some very nice bits of documentation that has helped a
problem go from "oh my sweet lord!" to "oh, where's that note again?",
so I see the value.  =)

> Yes, in the end system administration is a service profession, either to
> external clients or coworkers.

I couldn't agree more. I've seen some people act as though the system
they administrate (administer?) is their customer, and not the people
who use it.

> I'd still recommend multiple staff be familiar with the different areas
> lest one staff member being sick causes a big problem.  See also "Truck
> Number" in the jargon file.

Note to lurkers:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TruckNumber
The TruckNumber is the size of the smallest set of people in a project
such that, if one of them got hit by a truck, the project would be in
trouble.

My company is in serious sh*t because we have what I call "linchpins".
 Because we're so small, there is a lot of focused expertise (and,
oddly, a lot of dead weight.. sigh).  There are a few key people, and
there is a lot of effort done by everyone for personal job security
(as well as climbing the f'n corporate ladder).  Because of a very
nasty (illegal) hiring/firing history things are shakey.

Right now my job security is that I can scare the living hell out of
non-techs with an incomprehensable expertise.  Go figure.. I have no
idea what I'm doing, I just wanted to man a phone and be left alone.
=/

- Hey Sy, can you take a look at my heisenberg compensator.. I think
its flux capacitor is burnt out.
. Uh, I didn't even realise that technology existed.

- Well sure, I got one last week.. can you take a look at it?
. But, uh.. I have no idea what that is.

- Well you know this stuff, can you take a look at it?
. I dunno, I was kinda doing something [obviously lying].. you know as
much as I do, why can't you fix it?

- You're smart like that, c'mon [begging]
. Sure, I guess.  Uh, I dunno what I'm doing though.  I might not be
able to fix it.

- Yay Sy!
<moments pass>
. Umm.. ok, is that right?

- You're the best!
. But I have no idea what I did..

- Thanks!
. Uh, whatever.
<continues reading email>

My job is so wierd.  I love it, but I hate not feeling competent.