(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 22 16:49:40 UTC 2005

Ok, some general comments:

Some stuff is being worked on, and I appreciate that.  I assume that
in time the various things like the constitution, member list, board
members and such be available on the website.  I also assume that
official statements will be made on this list and at the next meeting.

I still want to start up an official Wiki.  Yes, I will move website
docs to it and administer it if we set it up mediawiki.  I can see
immediate benefit to the collective at large in setting something nice
up.

* I didn't realise there were any issues of expense or whatever.  Do I
owe anyone money for the last meeting I went to?

* If we want to straighten out and pay for the space we use, then I'm
all for it.  Like others, I would want to see a shopping list of
expenses to understand where my money goes.  I think an "open
accounting" page which lists members and donations and the in/out of
money would be nice to see.

* Pay per meeting or per year.. it doesn't matter to me.  What I'd
like to see is a fixed list of expenses and a fixed cost for me as a
participant, and then a donation drive for special events.
** If we organized two months in advance for something quirky like a
trade show, imo that should be plenty of time to a) explain the costs
clearly and b) ask for donations.  This lets us keep the running
expenses low, lets people pay for only what they get and lets more
active people choose to donate more (time/money/equipment) for special
events.  Can we set up a paypal account for the official accountant to
receive transfer of funds like this?
** We definitely need to set up a donation fund for trug equipment.
If we don't own a projector between us, can we put that and other
meeting equipment on a list.  I don't mind donating a couple of
hundred bucks.  Can we rent one cheaply/easily?
*** I'm still looking into being able to borrow the company projector,
but.. other people seem to keep their paws on the damned thing all the
time (they like using it for a dual-monitor setup for a laptop), and
our spare broke!  I'll look into stealing it and leaving a "my turn!"
note.  =)
** If we'd like.. I may have access to a couple of spare laptops for
meetings, if we want to do installfests or something.

* Structure to meetings is nice to see: Presentations are a nice idea
** two presentations seems like a good idea
*** I loved the last meeting because topic-drift is nice to allow.  I
don't see how that's as possible with two presentations on two topics.
 On the other hand, I can certainly see how this derailing of the
topic can be a bad thing and should be clamped down upon.
** Tutorials are also a nice concept.. I can get into just about any
topic.  It's all good.

* The socialness is something that will happen or not happen depending
on the needs of the participants.  All that can really be done by the
organizers is.. uh.. to organize.  =)  So stuff like meeting times,
places and topics.. whatever happens outside of that is up to whoever
else.  If people like socialness then we come early or stay late (or
go for a beer).  These options would be nice to see.. renting a hall
for a longer period of time than the presentation time allotment, for
example.
** A swap meet, installfest or other type of event sounds wonderful.
** Other events outside of regular meeting times sounds cool.