(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 22 15:40:05 UTC 2005

On 4/22/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> 1.  Facility is the main thing.  It's free, only because we're
>     trespassing on UofT property.

So why tresspass?  Why not try and get formal permission?  Other
educational institutions host user group meetings, why not UofT?
Mohawk College hosts the Hamilton Linux User Group (last time I
checked), and I doubt they charge for it.

Also, why does it have to be UofT?  Why not go after some of the
bigger companies, like HP, Novell, etc.?

> 2.  Projector is another big issue.  It's free, only because we harasse
>     Chris with threat of ex-communication.

So find a facility which has a projector that can be used, or someone
who is reliable enough to provide one when necessary.  You know what
dates your meetings will be on well in advance; that shouldn't be hard
to do.

> 3.  Then, there are minor issue of cost for booth at trade show, flyers,
>     labels, CDs, plastic laminators, food for the volunteers, etc.

Ugh... back to the trade show issue.  How many trade shows does TLUG
do in a year?  One?  Two? Yeesh, it's not like you're at one every
week.  But those kinds of costs would be something that the membership
fees may go towards.

<personal opinion>
I would be a little torn about the idea of membership money going
towards funding a booth at a trade show.  I like the idea of promoting
Linux to the masses, and feel it should be done as much as possible.
But, in my mind, membership money should fund activities that directly
benefit the members.  After all, that's why they are paying... to
receive some sort of benefit.  Not to fund a booth at a show that
preaches to the already converted.

What would be nice to have at a show as giveaways would be some of the
presentations that  were made in the past year, on a CD or diskette,
as giveaways.  Everyone can download their distros from the Internet
these days; it's kind of silly to give distros out.  But a CD with the
presentations would show the quality of the TLUG presenters and the
extensive knowlege within the group.
</personal opinion>

> However, I personally think that TLUG expenses are internal matter, and
> shouldn't be aired in public.  We come across as petty beggers (which we
> are). :-)

Hey, I agree with that.  Club finances are not something you'd
necessarily post on the mailing list.  But what should be public is
the direction and purpose of the group.  What are we here for, and
what activities do the funds cover.  So anyone who wants to know where
their $20 goes can see.

> There are issues which concern only the paying members.  But, I take
> your point.  You have to recognize that TLUG didn't have any structure
> until a year ago.  Before that, we were just a get-together of Linux
> guys.

Uh, we still are a get-together bunch of Linux guys.  At least 95% of
us.  The other 5% are you, who want to take the club in this new
direction.

TLUG still doesn't really have any structure, not that is communicated
to the so-called members.  It shows in your above statement.  Are you
saying that "paying members" are the only ones that really have any
say in what the current TLUG is or should become?  When was this
communicated?  It's pretty sad when the person who organizes the
speakers for TLUG doesn't even know anything about the membership fees
or these restrictions on what paying and non-paying members can do.

> Interrupting the speaker is one thing that we're trying to clamp down.
> But, it also depends on the nature of talk.  If the talk is about how
> Microsoft is crappy, then trolls come alive.

Very true, and I know for a fact that this has improved dramatically.
It is important that the speaker have control of the meeting, and if
he/she cannot do it, then the meeting convenor or organizer should be
responsible for keeping it on track.

> However, if we hold more practical tutorials, closer to code or scripts,
> then the smart-ass snipes will die down.  And, the discussion will be
> about code or scripts (as it should be).

Not necessarily.  I've been to meetings which started out innocently
enough that have devolved into a "who's used Linux the longest" and
"who knows more about topic than the speaker" argument.

> We can't afford location and/or permit.  We're back to money. :-)

Not true.  It doesn't have to cost money.  Just look harder.

pm

--
Paul Mora
email: paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org