Unicode-aware text editor; suggestions?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 22 03:31:44 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   I really, really hope this doesn't become an emacs vs. vi thread... I
don't want to use something that takes a religious convertion and weeks
or study to use. :p

   I've been very happily using 'nedit' for my so-called coding for some
time now, despite lacking a couple functions that would otherwise be
"nice to have". The biggest feature I wish was there was a way to
collapse blocks (like if/then, while/until, subroutines, etc). That
isn't what brings me here though...

   I've started using unicode (french symbols and Japanese kana/kanji
characters) in my program (I'm working on the translation code). I very
quickly found that nedit will show anything other than ASCII as garbage.
Gedit will display the characters but as often as not I get an error
when trying to save files with international characters in it.

   I am hoping someone here might suggest a replacement text editor. The
only key things I need are; line numbering, cursor position, unicode
support and code highlighting (html/perl/javascript - preferably
customizable). "Nice to have" would be the code block collapsing but
I've lived without that until now so no biggy.

   I have a modest laptop, a P3 1GHz w/ 512MB RAM so nothing to fancy. I
like a lot of screen real estate and most of the programs I've seen that
are advertised as "programming" programs are very ... full. I like very
minimal. I also don't like Gedit's behavior of creating a ~<file> file
for each file I edit, even after I save the file... One of the key
reasons I used nedit over gedit in fact.

   Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!

Madison