(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 20:39:58 UTC 2005

On 4/21/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Social component of TLUG meetings works only for core people, and even
> this works only up to certain size.

The social component is what I came for.  For me, the real meeting
happens after hours, where conversation is stimulated by the
combination of the meeting's abstract ideas, the collection of
like-minded people.. and, uh, beer.  ;)

However, this isn't a concern of the meeting itself.. although the
meeting should have lots of cool abstract ideas to chat about over a
beer afterwards.  =)

> We also need to get our acts together.  With that in mind, I would like
> some feedback as to what we can do to bring new people in to TLUG.
>
> 1.  I've been chewing the idea of tutorial-style meeting for some time.
>     The collective experience and knowledge of TLUG members are pretty
>     impressive.  There are some things that each person knows quite
>     well.  And, it would be nice to see if we can arrange some kind of
>     "tutorial" for the benefit of others.
>
>     A narrowly focused subtopic would be better suited.  For example,
>     Python is too big to chew in one sitting, but Python interface to
>     PostgreSQL might be narrow enough for single tutorial, ie.
>         - modules you use,
>         - parameters available,
>         - syntax, and sample usages
>
>     So, do you prefer short tutorials on various topics?

The obvious problem with a tutorial style of things is that the topic
will inevitably only appeal to certain people.  While I'd probably
come to meetings whose topic I'm completely clueless about, some
people may not.  So your usergroup population problem will continue.

> 2.  What do you think of collecting $1 from all attendees of the
>     meeting, instead of $20 annual membership?  They do that in
>     churches (I've heard), so I shouldn't be accused of being a Hun
>     anti-christ or something.

It doesn't matter if I buy people a beer after or donate a bit of case
during a meeting.. it's for a good cause and I'm all for it.